‘Deadpool’ is 2016’s Most Torrented Movie
The piracy tracking site TorrentFreak reports the Ryan Reynolds action-comedy Deadpool was the most pirated film of 2016. Not surprising when you consider Deadpool was not handed a release slot in China, the world’s second-largest movie market. DC Film’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice came in second on the list, followed by Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War in third place.
Outside of the superhero movie genre, Warcraft was the biggest 2016 release in sixth, while last year’s holdovers Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Revenant also appeared in fourth and tenth place, respectively.
Looking at the list, not all the films were box-office hits. The Will Smith-less sequel Independence Day: Resurgence under-performed commercially. The same goes for The Revenant as the Oscar-winning Leonardo DiCaprio-headlined drama failed to grab the attention of casual moviegoers. On the other side, Zootopia was the third-highest grossing release of the year but didn’t fare that great on torrent networks.
Check out the full list of 2016’s most pirated movies, below.
1. Deadpool (20th Century Fox)
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Warner Bros.)
3. Captain America: Civil War (Marvel Studios)
4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Lucasfilm)
5. X-Men: Apocalypse (20th Century Fox)
6. Warcraft (Universal Pictures)
7. Independence Day: Resurgence (20th Century Fox)
8. Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
9. Finding Dory (Pixar)
10. The Revenant (20th Century Fox)
It warms my heart on this chilly winter night to know that piracy is not the cause of less than stellar returns at the box office like the studios would have everyone believe. Happy Holidays everybody!