Weekend Box Office: ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Wins First Place with $21.6M
Lionsgate’s action-comedy The Hitman’s Bodyguard, starring Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson, debuted in first place with $21.6 million from 3,377 theaters, while another action flick, Logan Lucky (Bleecker Street), sputtered on arrival with $8 million.
Also starring Gary Oldman and Salma Hayek, the R-rated film which comes courtesy of director Patrick Hughes, received a B+ CinemaScore from audiences and was made for $29 million.
Coming in at number two this weekend with $15.5 million is the horror film, Annabelle: Creation (Warner Bros.).
Meanwhile, Steven Soderbergh’s NASCAR heist pic placed third with a dreadful $8 million from 3,301 theaters. Starring Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Daniel Craig, and Hilary Swank, the film is the lowest nationwide start of Soderbergh’s career when adjusting for inflation. Logan Lucky received a B grade from audiences despite rapturous reviews.
Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk dropped two spots to fourth place with $6.7 million, while Open Road’s The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature rounded out the top five with $5.1 million.
Here’s your top ten for this weekend:
1. The Hitman’s Bodyguard — $21.6 million
2. Annabelle: Creation — $15.5 million ($64 mil.)
3. Logan Lucky — $8 million
4. Dunkirk — $6.7 million ($165.5 mil.)
5. The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature— $5.1 million ($17.6 mil.)
6. The Emoji Movie — $4.3 million ($71.7 mil.)
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming — $4.2 million ($314 mil.)
8. Girls Trip — $3.8 million ($103.9 mil.)
9. The Dark Tower — $3.7 million ($41.6 mil.)
10. Wind River — $3 million ($4.1 mil.)
Also of note is Wonder Woman, which has now officially surpassed the $800 million mark. However, the summer of hell continues as this season’s box office has slipped to 13.3% behind last year’s revenue.