Weekend Box Office: ‘Madea Halloween’ Bested ‘Jack Reacher 2’
Tyler Perry‘s Boo! A Madea Halloween easily bested Tom Cruise‘s Jack Reacher: Never Go Back to win the weekend race at the domestic box office. The latest film in the long-running Madea series, co-starring Bella Thorne, Cassie Davis, and Andre Hall, earned a stellar $27.6 million in its opening weekend. The Halloween comedy also received an impressive “A” CinemaScore.
Tom Cruise‘s action sequel, co-starring Cobie Smulders and Aldis Hodge, opened in over 1,500 more theaters than Boo! but had a mid-$23 million debut or half of Medea‘s per-screen average. The $60 million film earned a B-plus.
Another sequel, Ouija: Origin of Evil, opened in third place with $14.1 million in 3,167 theater after costing less than $9 million to make. Directed by Mike Flanagan, the film received a middling C from audiences.
Rounding out the top five were holdovers The Accountant and The Girl on the Train.
The Top Ten:
1. Boo! A Madea Halloween — $27.6 million
2. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back — $23 million
3. Ouija: Origin of Evil — $14.06 million
4. The Accountant — $14.02 million ($47.9 mil.)
5. The Girl on the Train — $7.2 mil. ($58.9 mil.)
6. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children — $6 million ($74.4 mil.)
7. Keeping Up with the Joneses — $5.6 million
8. Kevin Hart: What Now? — $4.1 million ($18.9 mil.)
9. Storks — $4 million ($64.7 mil.)
10. Deepwater Horizon — $3.6 million ($55.2 mil.)
Outside of the top five but still within the top ten was Keeping Up with the Joneses, the fourth of this weekend’s major new releases. Twentieth Century Fox comedy, starring Gal Gadot, Isla Fisher, Zach Galifianakis, Jon Hamm and Patton Oswalt, flopped with $5.6 million or $1,853 per theater, down from previous predictions of $8 million.
In limited release, Barry Jenkins‘ acclaimed drama Moonlight, starring Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris, earned an estimated $413,000 on four screens for an impressive per-screen average of $103,000.