Weekend Box Office: ‘Solo’ Pulled Out $103M Through Memorial Day Holiday
Disney and Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, the only big release this Memorial Day weekend, managed to pull out $103 million, far below its $130 million projection. Overseas it added just $65 million for a $148.3 million three-day worldwide start.
Directed by Ron Howard, Han’s origin story stars Alden Ehrenreich in the titular role opposite Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo and Paul Bettany. The film currently has an A- CinemaScore, along with a 71% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Fox and Ryan Reynold’s R-rated Deadpool 2 took a $55 million bite out of the box office over the four-day holiday frame. The irreverant superhero pic nearly topped Solo overseas with $57 million in its second week.
In third is Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War with 21.2 million. Another heroic blockbuster has a shot at joining the $2 billion worldwide club.
Check out the four-day box office estimates below.
1. Solo: A Star Wars Story – $103 million ($103M total)
2. Deadpool 2 – $55 million ($219.7M total)
3. Avengers: Infinity War – $21.2 million ($626.4M total)
4. Book Club – $12.5 million ($34.7M total)
5. Life of the Party – $6.9 million ($40.9M total)
6. Breaking In – $5.3 million ($36.9M total)
7. Show Dogs – $4.6 million ($12.1M total)
8. Overboard – $4.3 million ($42.7M total)
9. A Quiet Place – $3 million ($180.7M total)
10. RBG – $1.5 million ($6M total)